Monday, September 6, 2010

What Keeps Me Up at Night

Rumbling through the attic of my mind...


Porch View

Wow, this takes a little pondering, consideration, and forethought.



I suppose it depends on what's going on in my life at the time.



Presently, I am in the process of putting together the possibility of removing my current home and replacing it with a new one, with more efficient everything. The new place will be more energy efficient on all levels, with a larger master bedroom, and an additional bedroom, as well as a nice large porch.



The walls will be better insulated, as will the use of double paned windows, helping to make it easier and cheaper to heat and to cool in our hot summers.



Temperatures of 100 degrees and over is the norm for this area in the summertime. Winters can get as low as the mid teens, so insulation is a very important issue here. This summer we have already had temperature as high as 112. That is getting close to the temps we had in 1993, when it got to 115, and a day or so later it reached 118 degrees.



Thankfully, most of our hot weather comes with low humidity, which makes it more bearable than the really humid summer weather on the east coast and the most southern parts of the United States.



Wintertime here is temperate, though it has gotten as low as 18 to 20 degrees a couple of time since I moved here in 1984.



The kitchen will have all energy efficient appliances as well.



I really like the idea of a porch that is about eight feet out from the house, and goes all across the entire front of the home. It it similar to places I lived in as a youngster in Georgia.



It's really nice to have a big porch where you can sit on hot summer afternoon and in the evening, when the sun is on the west side of the house, and the afternoon breeze gently refreshes you, while you are sipping iced tea or a nice cold beer, and reading a book, or chatting with a visiting friend or family member.



Other times I remain awake at night when my brain just doesn't want to shut down. Things just keep wandering around in my head, whether it may be something of serious concern, or just sort of letting my mind rummage through old memories.



Eventually, if I don't get to sleep, and just get tired of lying there, I usually get up and go online, and see if there is anything I need to write, or just play a few games on POGO or on FaceBook.

Powered by Plinky

No comments:

Post a Comment