Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Songs That Touch The Very Fiber Of My Being

I like a wide range of music styles, and these are just a few songs that I just never tire of.

I just wish I could still sing them like I used to do before surgery messed up my voice so.

This is one song that I knew every word to the very first time I heard it. I sang it for my sixth grade class at the invitation of my teacher, Mr. Raymond K. Funk.

It was my very first time singing to an audience, and I nearly messed it up, when our school principal even came to listen.

These songs transport me, and touch my very soul.
When this song came out in the 1950s, it was one of my favorites. I've lived on the outskirts of El Paso as a child, and it just transports me back there. The whole area has change immensely, and the wide open spaces that we lived in, near the base of a high mountain, have been replaced by thousands of homes, and shopping malls. But, every time I listen to this song, it's as if I'm in the 1800s, with that little cantina not too far from the base of that imposing mountain, and he's riding with all his might to reach his beloved Rosa.
I have always, since I was very small, loved this song, and though Jeannette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy did an admirable rendition, my mother who was a very accomplished lyric soprano was spectacular.

 I was able to find photos online though Google, but this particular program couldn't locate any.

If only I could hear my mother sing this once again...

No comments:

Post a Comment