Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Weirdest Food I've Ever Eaten... I won't ruin it for you, just yet

I eat things such as octopus, squid, and hominy grits, as well. I have even eaten Sea turtle Soup in Mexico in my youth. I would never touch that again, once I have seen how the turtles are kept while waiting to be the next one to be killed and cooked.

Besides they are a very endangered species now, as well.

吉田うどん
Hmmm. Well, what may seem weird to you, may be completely normal to me, or someone else.

Actually, now that I think back...

I've always been fairly adventurous when it comes to trying something new. BUT, once when I was a newlywed, my late husband and I were invited to dinner at the home of some of his old friends.

Nothing was said, nor did I ask what were about to eat, so I was blindsided. I knew the dinner, which had some meat mixed in with some tomatoey sauce, had a slightly different taste than I was accustomed to, but I never suspected that we had just dined on a horse that they had on their property.

I love horses, and it still sickens me to think I ever ate anything that had horse meat in it.

I can still see, in my mind's eye, that horse in it's corral. I had actually seen it once on their property, too. This was an older Hispanic couple, and I'm sure they were accustomed to eating many things most of us would never consider. This was in the early 1960s, and they were in their late 60s to mid 70s, which meant that they were both alive and most likely living in a Spanish speaking country, where people ate whatever was available while they were growing up, and maybe even raising their children.

Many settlers of the United States ate horse meat and mules, while trying to survive while crossing the plains and mountains in their attempt to reach the west coast, and many places between where they started their journey and their final destination.

As you all know, many people in places like Japan and China, as well as other lands eat and even pay high prices to eat the meat of horses that we value so highly for their beauty, and intelligence.

Horses are one of my very favorite animals.  To me, they are right up there with dogs, cats and Pot belly Pigs.

No comments:

Post a Comment