Wednesday, October 20, 2010

If I Could Go Back in Time - Would That Help?

Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all.

Back to the Future DeLorean Time Machine
Well, I am probably many years too late for this, but if I could, I would change the property I chose to buy probably fifteen years ago.

Instead of purchasing a lot, with just a home and large garage on 1/6 acre, I would have moved farther away from the area where I live, probably into a more hilly area, where I could get at least a couple of acres, maybe even five. I did consider moving to another state, but I stayed in California due to my children, my sisters and all the rest of my direct family living in this area. I also had to consider my disability, as I do really need to be closer to help than I might otherwise.

I would have started officially rescuing animals much sooner, and had room for the piggies, dogs and kitties that I adore so they would have more room, and the local government wouldn't care that I had several dozen or even more. I would have had at least a couple of Great Pyrenees to keep predators at bay. I also would have taken in donkeys and mustangs that needed homes. So, obviously I would have needed more than only five acres.

I know places in Arizona and New Mexico that one could have bought forty acres for what only two would cost in California. The forty acres are/were available at altitudes that are cooler in summer and not too cold in winter, so the pigs and I would not freeze, either. Snow would only be an occasional event there. Of course, placement of these rescued "critters" would also have to be accessible to people, which would present other logistical problems, wouldn't it? People who would help in feeding and caring for said animals would also need housing in a area so remote. That is another obstacle one would need to tackle. Fencing would also be a very essential item.

I would have also started my spay and neuter assistance much sooner, while I was young enough to accomplish more, as well.

However, that was when I was really restricted in what I could physically do because of my neck and back issues. That is why I made the choices I did. Now, I just have to deal with what is, and not what I wish to things were.

Life throws us a curve every now and then, and we need to work with that, making the best choices we can with the information and resources we have at the time.

Regrets only cause more regret, which only adds to the stresses of life, which is something we definitely do not need. As Ecclesiastes chapter 3, verse 1 states: "For everything there is an appointed time, even a time for every affair under the heavens." (Read Ecclesiastes 3:1-22 for more on this topic). Also in Ecclesiastes, chapter 9, in verse 11, it states the following insightful information: "... Time and unforeseen occurrence befall them (us) all." Reading a bit further, verse 12 says, "For man also does not know his time. Just like the fishes that are being taken in an evil net, and like the birds that are being taken in a trap, so the sons of men themselves are being enslaved at a calamitous time, when it falls upon then suddenly."

So, we need to the do and be the best we can under the circumstances in everything we do in life, and not act foolishly in the choices we make. Hindsight is not always 20/20, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment