Saturday, October 9, 2010

I'd Change My Backbones and Discs, Too

Grow a backbone!  Ever heard someone say that? I certainly wish I could to just that.

How about a new spine. Not just the L-Spine, nor the T-Spine, or even the C-Spine. I need a whole new spine, from head to tailbone.

Having three herniated discs in my L-spine, two neck surgeries, and a skewered spinal cord in my neck, and spinal stenosis, and undiagnosed problems in my T-Spine, all combined, have greatly affected my lifestyle.

Still, I'm not paralyzed, not yet anyway. Even though my left leg is numb from hip to toes, for the most part, I can still walk. Hey, it could be a lot worse, don't-cha know?

By the way, why is it that people who have a bad back get so much sympathy, while those who have C-Spine problems are apparently thought to be fine, once they've had surgery.

Let me just say this: I have both, and the neck certainly causes more problems and more pain than my back ever has. After all, your neck/spinal cord, contains all the nerves to the rest of your body. Mess that up, and your entire physical condition suffers. With passing time, eventually, the number one disc will be affected, and you could drop dead, with one bump to your head, or even a slight injury could end your life.

"It's always darkest
just before the dawn.


While not everyone wants to know all the facts, I happen to be a person who would rather know exactly where I stand. So, my doctor, also being an equestrian, told me what I needed to know, in order to appreciate the situation, and better manage the rest of my life. That was in 1991, and 1995. Hey, I'm still here, and still kickin', too. So, take one day at a time, and live it as if it were your last, because it just may be. Love, live, laugh.

Once you have bad discs in your neck, that also weakens all the others, as they are taking more pressure, and they too, will go: one-by-one, unless you have more injuries which cause more to go sooner. I only have three discs left, and I have several titanium plates in my neck, to fuse the other vertebrae so I can function.

Still, I'm one of the fortunate ones. Look at the many football players who are either paralyzed, or even worse, dead, from a neck injury. Christopher Reeves come to mind as well.

My Doctor told me that my neck injury was equal to that of those same people, but somehow, I made it, even though I am only 5'3" and was in my 40's when I had my injury. So, rather than complain, I try to be happy to just still be here.

Life's a journey.
Make it worthwhile, and enjoy the trip.
©2010 PK Hawk

No comments:

Post a Comment