Thursday, July 28, 2011

Boy, Did You Get a Wrong Number!

Bill Collector Calling
wrong Number
Certainly I have received erroneous voice messages left by people who thought they were leaving the message for someone else. Unfortunately, many of the voice messages were from bill collectors, and mortgage companies attempting to reach someone else who had my home phone number before (about eight years ago, to be more exact). I also was getting voice messages from several local schools, stating the school was under lockdown, for one reason or another. Some were reminders for parents of students that their parent/teacher conference was set for some date they had missed, and to please call to reschedule. It took many calls to the individual schools as well as finally, to the district office to get those calls stopped. 

I recently got another call from doctor's office for someone who, to the best of my knowledge has never even had this phone number, as that was the first call I had received for that person. 

I guess that's the price I pay for having a phone number that is very easy to remember. When I got the number, I was very involved with pet rescue and adoption, and needed a number that people could easily remember. 

I don't get a lot of text messages that were not for me, maybe one or two, but they weren't funny. 

If and when I get any messages that are obviously not intended for me, I contact the caller, or whoever sent the message, to let them know I am not the person they are attempting to reach. That way, they can either call the right number, or remove my number from their call list.



Secret Agents
from Germany spying on you? 
Way back in the 1970s, my brother-in-law answered their home phone, and it was someone that said they were from the German Embassy.  I always get the east and west Germans confused, but suffice it to say that these people had somehow gotten my sister and brother-in-law's phone number, and they were very unhappy, claiming that they were supposed to be getting some kind of microwave mirrors, and wanted them, now!  My brother-in-law tried to tell them that they apparently had an incorrect telephone number, but they would not accept that reply.  The calls kept coming, and when it was reported to the FBI, and whoever else my brother-in-law and sister could think of to call, it seemed that nothing was happening to help them, so whoever was calling stopped.  


Once, while this was going on, while my sister was in the shower, someone managed to get inside their home, even though the doors were locked when she went to shower.  Oddly enough, until we later heard a news report about Microwave Mirrors being used against U.S. Agents in Russia, or maybe it was Germany, we never had a clue about any such thing.
Microwaves, were really new on the market then, too.  Finally, after repeated phone calls to the telephone company to report apparent having a tapped telephone line, they eventually came out to investigate.  Yep, the telephone company found that their line absolutely had been tapped into.  It was discovered in some kind of junction box about a block or more from my sister's home, but there is was, and there was no denying it any longer. 


When she came out of the shower, their place had been ransacked, and later, they discovered their phone was tapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment